Skip navigation

awning.jpg

…especially if your neighbor is Vinny’s of Carroll Gardens (Smith Street between Sackett and Union).

This is the kind of place that makes Brooklyn different from Manhattan.   The food is delicious, reasonably priced and non-fancy.  There are no big words on the menu.

vinny_julio.jpg

Owned, of course, by the adorable Vinny (right) – pictured here with his buddy Julio.

vito.jpg

Vinny’s brother Vito and the rest of the staff work miracles in the open kitchen.

When you wait for takeout you can enjoy them all shouting at each other.

caprese.jpg

The Mozzarella Tomato Caprese was fresh and tasty with lots of salty olives, silky roasted peppers and spicy basil leaves.

ravioli.jpg

As with all good neighborhood joints, you meet your neighbors at Vinny’s while sitting at the joined tables.

The aforepictured Julio and his son Richard introduced themselves and were seated to our right.  They were so nice to talk to…we shared food together and they even picked up our tab.  It’s a Brooklyn thing.

Julio had perfect, classic ravioli and meatballs – hearty and comforting – just like him.

pasta.jpg

To our left were friendly Brooklyn transplants Frances and Cooper (Frances’ delicious pasta pictured here) – they were discussing what beer to drink and I told them.  Peroni.  You can just jump into people’s conversations here.

fdny4.jpg

As we were finishing up our cappuccino’s (nice and smooth, with chocolate powder on top) the Brooklyn FDNY came in for some takeout – good guys for me to know ;-)

Nice meeting you all, and thank you to Vinny for staying in Brooklyn and giving us a special place to sit together to enjoy great food, butt into conversations, laugh, and meet…our neighbors.

About these ads

26 Comments

1. Vinnies of carroll Gardens is the best!! next time you go you should have the calamari or even try some of the signature fish platters. Vinnie always goes out his way to say hello to people and if he yells at you, You know your one of his favorites. There is a kind of home feeling people get when they go to vinnies even liitle children know him. The fighting between the staff members is almost as good as the food but in all seriousness it’s all done in love. Glad you liked the neighborhood!

2. Dee – You’re so right! I’ve had the calamari AND the fish dishes…LOVE the pasta fagioli too. I have lived in the neighborhood over 2 years, and my happiest day was when Vinny’s started delivering! :-)

• Carissa
    • Posted April 30, 2007 at 3:19 pm

My favorite place to eat is obviously Vinnies of carroll Gardens. They are the best!! Try the lobster, he does not make it often but if u request it, he will make it special for you and it is amazing! :)

• Jenn
    • Posted April 30, 2007 at 3:48 pm

Vinnies is the best place to eat in brooklyn..Its good old fashioned home cooking,every dish he makes is fantastic..and he will make almost anything you request..I totally recommend the chicken piccata,it is my absolute favorite

• maria
    • Posted April 30, 2007 at 4:39 pm

I love this place. I don’t live nearby, not for the past few years at least, but everytime I visit – I stop at Vinny’s. The guys are the greatest and the food tastes great without a huge tab. LOVE IT! Must try.

• Maritza
    • Posted April 30, 2007 at 5:11 pm

I’ve been going to Vinny’s for years and each time I make the trek from Manhattan. I absolutely love the chicken parm, the calamari is to die for. The atmosphere is charming. Vinny is one of my favs there. I have had the joy of him yelling at me, makes me feel like one of the family!!

I have recommended Vinny’s over and over. I have also brought most of my family there to experience it and they love it as well.

• Sophie
    • Posted April 30, 2007 at 7:46 pm

Vinny’s of Carroll Gardens is the best in the neighborhood! Its good old fashioned home cooking & all of their dishes are delicious.There are large portions & they are reasonably priced. I love going there with friends & family. You get that great welcoming neighborhood feel the second you walk in. The staff is wonderful & always working hard to ensure you enjoy your meal. Their bickering is hysterical…It’s like you get dinner & a show!

• Melissa
    • Posted April 30, 2007 at 8:29 pm

Vinny’s is a great place to go eat . Everyone I bring there absolutely loves the food and large portions for great prices. It definitely is one my favorite places to eat!!

• Rob
    • Posted April 30, 2007 at 8:45 pm

I absolutely love going to Vinny’s, it is a great place to bring your family for an amazing meal. They have great prices, fill up your dishes and you always leave with a full stomach. I have been going there for years and I highly recommend it.

• Vittorio
    • Posted April 30, 2007 at 8:48 pm

Vinny’s of Carroll Gardens, is my absolute favorite place to eat. You always feel at home and the food is the best in brooklyn. You always have a great time when you go there and feel just like family.

• Phyllis
    • Posted April 30, 2007 at 8:54 pm

Hey everyone! I’m glad you enjoy dining at my uncle vinny’s restaurant. I’ve been working there for a long time and it’s good to know that all of our customers are happy & enjoying their food. I’ve met so many great people in my time working there. It really is a great neighborhood of people. It’s also great to see people returning to the “old neighborhood” and coming in there to dine with friends & family. I’m glad you’ve all enjoyed the “Vinny’s experience”. It definitely is a unique one. Thank you for all of your wonderful comments!
    -Phyllis

3. Phyllis has said it for me…thanks for all these great comments!! Now all I can think about is requesting the lobster…

• maria
    • Posted April 30, 2007 at 11:22 pm

What can I say about someone who puts his heart and soul into everything he does. At Vinny’s you’ll always find fast and freindly service, good conversation, and last but certainly not least DELICIOUS FOOD…. Eating at Vinny’s makes you fell like home… You’ll never have a bad meal……………

• Parson
    • Posted May 1, 2007 at 12:14 am

I love going to Vinny’s to eat. I wish there was a super giant plate where I can order everything on the menu. The Rice Ball special is awesome and the fried calamri is the best. And if he ever makes it again, the meat loaf with the hard boiled eggs inside is the die for. Going to stop by tomorrow, soooooooooooooooooooooo hungry looking at the pics.

• Robert B
    • Posted May 1, 2007 at 10:21 am

Hmmm I have never been here, but I hang out on smith street often…….all these good reviews I think I might have to stop in and check it out for myself soon!

• Jimmy
    • Posted May 1, 2007 at 10:02 pm

I live in MiddleVillage queens and even with all of the Restaurants in my area I still travel to Vinny’s, Excellent food and service.

4. Maria – well said!
    Parson – wow, I’d love to try that meat loaf…
    Robert B – what are you waiting for?!?!
    Jimmy – that’s loyalty :-)

• Angela
    • Posted May 2, 2007 at 12:38 am

Hi Everyone, Thanks so much for all these beautiful comments, It makes me very happy to see everyone is happy with Vinny’s food, my husband really puts pride in what he does and loves every minute of it. A Big Hug & Kiss to Sugar Cookie Brooklyn for this GREAT little story on the restaurant, makes Vinny and I very very HAPPY!

5. WOW!!! Mrs. Vinny – awesome. Thanks, Angela – sending the love right back at ya. :-) :-) :-)

• John
    • Posted May 4, 2007 at 1:48 pm

When you think of outstanding Italian food, only one word comes to mind…Vinny’s! Its as close to Grandma’s as you could possibly get. Its like home away from home.

• the future mrs g
    • Posted May 5, 2007 at 9:45 am

besides having the best food in brooklyn i would have to say that another great atribute to vinny’s is that it is pretty much family operated. it definetly makes you feel like u are at home. the waitresses are wonderful and the service is terrific, if u are in the neighborhood- stop in…..its a place where everybody knows ur name (or for sure remember it)

• Christine
    • Posted May 6, 2007 at 6:58 pm

WOW, I remember when Vinny and Angela first opened the staff was only Angela and Vinny and Angelas sisters. I am so proud of what Vinny and Angela accomplished. The food was great then and still is now.

6. John – I WISH my grandma could cook like this!
    the future mrs g – couldn’t agree with you more
    Christine – sounds like you’ve been going to Vinny’s for a long time – amazing that the food has stayed so consistent

• Laurie
    • Posted May 7, 2007 at 12:07 pm

I have been going to Vinny’s for years. The food is amazing and the people are great. It is a great place for the whole family. Eating at Vinny’s makes you fell like home…

• mike
    • Posted July 11, 2007 at 10:18 pm

I had the best linguine and red clam sauce in years at Vinny’s. So many clams I could hardly see the pasta. And what flavor. To bad I am trying to lose weight. :(

7. Thanks for the comment Mike…I haven’t tried the red clam sauce yet – but now I can’t stop thinking about it! I think I know what I’m having for dinner tonight (and what I’m doing at the gym today!) Enjoy, SCB

Comments are closed.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

%d bloggers like this: